Are you comfortable with the internet? Do you master some tools? Do you have the soul of a trader and want to work from home? The online sales may be for you! Short guide to get started and find clients.
Which products to choose to sell well on the internet?
not easy to get started when you don’t know which property to sell. It is essential to think carefully about it. Some basic tips.
👉 Survey the market
And yes, it sounds very simple, said like that. But indeed, it is essential to start by analyzing what is sold, or not, on the internet.
- The shoes
- electronic cigarettes
- car or motorcycle equipment
And yes, unless you have very large resources to put from the start into a heavy marketing strategy , in order to really compete with the big sales sites in the market, you have very little chance of doing well. position.
So if you can’t sell what is trendy, what product should you start with?
👉 Position yourself in a niche
A niche ? But what is it, then? A well-established place in which you can retreat, in your own small part of the market.
Concretely, a type of product that is both sought after, and that hardly anyone has had the idea of selling before you.
Oh, it could be products that have been selling for ages in very specialized physical stores, but no one has had the idea of selling on the internet ! You would therefore be one of the first to have the idea of creating a dedicated online store. Because not having competition brings big advantages:
- Greatly facilitate SEO. And yes, if you are the only one, or almost, you will have much less chance of finding yourself on the 5th page of google. Having said that, this is not a reason not to make some efforts, we will come back to it.
- Keep prices sufficiently advantageous (for you). Indeed, it is classic: the more the competition on the same product is numerous, the more the prices tend to fall. If you try to sell a stock of trendy branded sneakers, you will have to slash your prices to position yourself against the big sites well known to customers. The small margin compensated by the mass, they can afford it: you, no.
You will become a super specialist. You will know your products by heart. The interest? When the time comes, you will have top-notch customer relations. And you will have solid arguments for making your own communication on the networks or by word of mouth.
All this is in case you have no idea. Everything is possible from scratch: but it is necessary to act methodically.
👉 Sell a specialty
Specializing is the best. But how? Already, we can never say it enough, by studying the market . Sometimes this is done on your own: you have a talent, an old profession, valuable supplier contacts … Perhaps these are sought-after products, but for which shops are rare? For example, stores of equipment for classical dance are rare, you had to go to Paris to try on outfits… until someone had the idea of doing an online store , with a possible return after fitting. This person has found his niche! Some steps as an example:
- You are a classical dancer on the verge of stopping your practice, you know the entire sales network for professional, semi-professional and study equipment.
- You offer the supplier who owns the large Parisian boutique the possibility of selling their products via the Internet, in particular for provincial dancers who are reluctant to travel.
- You own the site, act as the intermediary, manage the customer relationship, bring your expertise, earn your commission and advertising revenue, the store takes care of the stock and shipments.
We are really in specialized e-commerce. But there are many ways to sell your talent.
Sell physical products on the internet
When we think of creating a site dedicated to sales, we most often think of selling physical products.
👉 Sales platforms
If you have a few years of sales practice as an individual, you are familiar with these websites: Ebay, le bon coin, Rakuten, Amazon, for the best known, indeed allow you to resell almost everything as a private individual. . The second-hand market is heavy, and you should know that even for this type of product it is possible to become a professional seller.
It is generally sufficient to acquire the status of micro-entrepreneur, and to develop its supply of second-hand products. You can then remain “generalist” or specialize in a sector (clothing, car parts, furniture, etc.).
These platforms also allow you to sell new items . In this case you are necessarily professional, and you have the possibility of buying and managing a stock. Practical if you want to sell without a shop!
By taking a little time to train yourself in a basic digital marketing strategy , you will be able to use platforms, paid but very practical, such as Shopify, Prestashop or Woocommerce. They have the advantage of offering you a real online store. A base cost of course, but no commissions on sales, which is more profitable in the medium to long term.
Sell via blog and social media
The social networks have become real sales areas in recent years. You have to know how to use them, but they essentially offer you access to a very large clientele, to “marketplace” type tools, sales groups and effective sponsorship options:
- Facebook: the largest current social network. That’s potential access to hundreds of millions of customers! Advantages? Exceptional visibility, possibilities for real-time interaction (via lives), an intuitive interface, numerous thematic sales groups, effective advertising campaign tools able to target your personas.
- Instagram: Important network, very complementary to Facebook. If you have a story to tell, whether you are an effective photographer, short video, a bit of storytelling, Instagram is for you. Its recent complementarity with Facebook allows you to create impactful “Stories”, broadcast on both networks, with attractive and powerful visual tools. The advertising campaigns now work in conjunction with those of Facebook, which is a real plus!
In terms of visibility, there is nothing better. The condition is that this blog must be well done, because it is precisely your image! Start with a free blog via a CMS (WordPress, Wix…), even if it means getting help and advice from a professional to do something nice and well referenced. Learn the basics of SEO, and link your blog to social networks to maximize your dissemination.
👉 Sales pages
You can create sales pages for any type of product or service (we will come back to these later). The sales page has the advantage of being synthetic: it presents an online product, usually using a slideshow or video, “SEO friendly” text and a white background. An optimization for mobile is welcome, and of course do not forget the “call to action”.
The sales pages also make it easy to include you in affiliate programs that you have successfully set up. You do not necessarily promote your products, but those of other sellers who will give you the lift. This is for example very indicated if you sell fitness products, and are affiliated with a sports coach: you sell his coaching sessions and his advice, makes him the direct promotion of your products and your shop.
Sell services and other non-physical products
The other big trend is to sell something other than physical products. Advantages: no stocks, a more easily original and personalized offer. Explanations.
👉 Sell advice (“consulting” or “coaching”)
Here is a practice which has developed very strongly in recent years. Coaches flourish in all areas, and it is not without reason.
Indeed, the demands are extremely varied.
It can be classic “consulting” , as has always been requested by companies, except that the trend to hire freelancers has been confirmed in recent years. Some examples:
- Freelance SEO consultant
- Freelance CRM consultant
- Freelance wealth management consultant
- Network Marketing Consultant
- Consultant in agro-ecology
The examples abound, the demands for professional expertise being very varied.
On the coaching side , it is more often more personalized advice, sold online via individual sessions, in groups, webinars on youtube, free articles or with paid access … and this in many areas:
- personal development coaching
- sports coaching
- dietetic or culinary coaching
- wellness coaching
- DIY or gardening coaching
- educational coaching
- administrative coaching
The offer is endless, but the online sales marketing techniques are the same: own a beautiful blog well referenced, be present on networks (Facebook, Instagram, Youtube…), seek affiliations , and know how to sell your personality.